Monday, April 26, 2010

Road to Half Marathon?!

Greetings! It's been a long time. I've missed you. Consider this a big sloppy kiss.

So much to say. So much to say. But instead of going backwards and filling you in on the past few months of our lives, on to the reason that got me REALLY interested in writing again:

On December 5th, 2010, I intend to run a half marathon. I had to write it out officially on the internet to make it real. To hold myself accountable. And while i most certainly could fail (and I worry about that) the true failure is not trying at all, right?

A half marathon has been on my bucket list for a couple of year now after a trip to Las Vegas to watch our friend, Banning, run the Rock 'N Roll Half Marathon. (See the post here)There was such excitement that day that i scribbled my goal down in the back of my head but never was really sure if/when I would do it.

Now I guess I have to level with you about something. I have never liked running. My first memory in regards to running was grade school when we had the Presidential Fitness test and loathing the mile run. I didn't care about the sit-ups or push-ups. It was the mile run that left me with a terrible side ache and red face. Sucking wind on the side of the sidewalk. From a very early age, I always told myself I couldn't run.

So WHY IN GOD'S NAME DO I WANT TO RUN A HALF MARATHON? I guess it would just be a nice accomplishment. and really, the pros far outweigh the cons.

My urban family came up with the idea of running the half marathon this year and I figured it was as good a time as any to sign up. They will push me and I will in turn push myself. And maybe I can shed a few post-baby pounds. who knows?

Problem is, I know NOTHING about running. and sure, how hard can it be? I mean you invest in a good pair of shoes and hit the pavement, right? WRONG. I tried that a couple of weeks ago and again, like my Presidential Fitness Test days, I ran one block (ONE BLOCK, PEOPLE!) had a side ache and couldn't breathe and threw in the towel.

Then my friend Diane told me about her success with the Couch-to-5K running program. Basically, you do not need to have any running experience to have success with this program. It's a nine week regimen that will take a couch potato and gradually mold them into a 5K running machine. Check it out here.

I'm at the end of week 2 and so far so good! In fact, I can tell you I'm a little bored and want to move a little quicker.

I'm going to document my success over the next several months to see if truly I can do it. Stay Tuned!

No comments: