Thursday, July 16, 2009

Death Cab for Cutie


Monday night Pocket and I packed up our picnic food and met our friends, Diane and Banning at Red Butte Garden for the Death Cab for Cutie concert. It was a most excellent night sans Pita and made me feel like I didn't have a care in the world! We arrived a little after Ra Ra Riot started playing but luckily Diane and Banning secured us a to-die-for spot 5 rows back from the stage. In all my days of going to Red Butte for concerts, I have never been that close. Diane's friends had been standing in line since 9am and seeing that we didn't get to the venue until after the show started, we scored big time.

Like I mentioned before, Ra Ra Riot opened the show and they were incredible...and very young. They didn't look old enough to even drive! Andrew Bird was the 2nd act and he used some neat instruments. Most of his songs included whistling. Pocket and I are planning on getting his album just for this reason because our bitchy cat, Ernie, loves the sound of whistling and goes nutso when he hears it. It makes him crazier than catnip.

And then Death Cab came on stage and my heart just melted. They were incredible live and sounded just like their recordings. Earlier that day I had googled their set list at their previous shows looking to see if they ever played my most favorite, though somewhat obscure song "What Sarah Said" and sadly saw that they had not incorporated that song into their previous shows. However, Monday night when they came back for an encore, that was the first song they played. This song has a very special meaning to me after my grandpa died a few years ago and is one of my top ten most favorite songs in the universe.

it was a most perfect night.

No comments: